Various tributaries of the Moselle floweastwards: Queens Wood Stream, Priory Brook and Cholmondley Brook
Post to the west Highgate
Cholmondley Brook passes along the northside of the road
1 old people’s flats which use an arched wallfeature from the previous house as part of garden terrace. The architects wereMarden and Knight and they won a competition set by the Avenue Road ResidentsAssociation.
2 Avenue Hall. Flats which datefrom 1964
5 Avenue Heights. This 12 floor tower blockwas built in 1964 as sheltered accommodation for elderly Jewish refugees. Itwas originally named after Eleanor Rathbone, MP who campaigned for the entryinto the UK of refugees from the Nazis.
The Priory Brook crosses the road fromCarisfort Road and enters Priory Park at its corner.
Cholmondley Brook goes north on its eastside. This was part of a series of lakes in the grounds of Crouch Hall
Cast iron street nameplaque the wall of house in Shanklin Road
ThePriory Brook emerges from the edge of the Playing Fields and follows the lineof this road to Barrington Road
Cholmondley Brook goes along the north sideof the road. This was part of a series of lakes in the grounds of Crouch Hall
Cholmondley Brook crosses the road. The roadwas laid out by 1881 with some infill of local authority and other flats in the1960s
Post Office pillarbox with no inscription near the junction with Shepherds Hill
Post Office pillarbox inscribed GVIR at junction with Crescent Road
Coolhurst Tennis and Squash Club, Founded as a tennis club in 1903 by members of the localYMCA it was at first called Fairfield Tennis Club with twenty-four members. Ayear later the club took over four courts on the current site and became theCoolhurst Lawn Tennis Club. They became independent of the YMCA in 1907, and inthe 1930s, added two squash courts and a bar.
Laid out 1871 with spiky Gothic houses ofwhich nine remain. The road curves around Christ Church in Crouch End Hill.
Christ Church Parish Hall
15, 17, 19 Gothic style 19th villas on the outer curveof the road. Steeply gabled, in brickwith coloured bands and a carved decoration.
15A Solis House a late 20th addition replicating their style and materials. Plaque saying okfor aesthetic design by Prince of Wales in 1999.
Highgate Spinney. 20th flat roofed brickslab-block
Williams Close on the junction withCoolhurst Road made up of three mid 20th brick blocks of flats
Green space at the junction withAvenue Road with mature horse chestnut trees
Crouch End Hill
Christ Church. The site was given for a new parish church byC.S.Dickens from land on the Crouch Hall Estate. It replaced a rented chapel which was inadequate.It was architect Blomfield’s first church in thispart of London, and completed over a long period between 1861 and 1881. It isin Kentish ragstone in a 13th Gothic style. There is a bronze war memorial with figureof St George by L. F. Roslyn.
Churchyard–impressively leafy on the hillside.
Hillside.A late20th blockof flats that replaced a detached late Victorian villa of the same name.
Coleridge Primary School – thisis now the west site. It opened here in `97`
Coleridge Primary School East. Thisis the old TUC Training Centre which Haringey took over in 2006.and decided to extendColeridge Primary School. There is aspecially installed traffic light linking the two sites.
Hornsey School of Art. This originally fronted onto Waverley Road.This began as private classes under Frank Swinstead which opened as a schooland residence in 1882, with government help. It later became the Hornsey Schoolof Arts and Crafts and supported by Middlesex County Council from 1904 buyingthe freehold in 1925. It was reconstructed with an extension in 1931. The school was overcrowded by 1953 and expansionwas difficult although the school was widely known for its ‘Hornsey’ designs. In the 1970s into mergedwith what was then Middlesex Polytechnic and relocated to Cat Hill.
TUC National Education Centre – theArt School building was subsequently converted in 1984 as the Trades Union Congress national trainingcentre. In 2005 they surrendered the lease and Haringey Council took it overand it was converted to an extension of Coleridge Primary School.
Crouch Hall Road
This was built as the main axis of a grid ofstreets laid out by the Imperial Investment Company from 1882 On the Crouch Hallestate. It led to Crouch Hall itself which was at the eastern end.
Surgery to the rear of No. 48
Post Office pillar box with noinscription outside 20
Laid outin 1870 by William Bird who owned Crouch Hall.
SundaySchoolsfor Christchurch. Site given by William Bird and the architect was A.E.Billing.Built 1878 and enlarged in 1890s.
18 & 19 Christ ChurchCottages. Built in 1900 on land secured by Rev. Sharp. An entry goes to 20 which is acommercial property behind.
23 Parish Hall. This is now theSchool of Islamic Sufism
Post Office pillar box inscribedGVIR on junction with Tivoli Road
Highgate Wood School. Built in 1956 by Architect E.D.Mills as BishopswoodSchool. It became a compressive in replacing two others. This site was initially the Upper Schoolbut now takes all pupils.
Crouch End Playing Fields. Established forsports 1890. The Queens Wood Stream crosses the playing fields in a culvertsouth of the footpath to Park Road. The stream was still open in the1930s. The Priory Stream follows thefield’s southern boundary where there is a line of trees and goes under thesite of the baths. It then follows Carisfort Road,
Was previously called Maynard Street. An older area of development. The QueensWood Stream crosses the road in a culvert at its lowest point. CholmondleyBrook also crosses it.
57 Moors Bar, in temperance coffee house Building with and twosedate bay windows.
59 Former Woodwork Building withBattlements, turretand half-timbered gable. This was anaddition to Hornsey’s first board school by H. Chatfeild Clarke in 1893. Theschool itselfreplaced was by a crescent of houses behind in 1994.
70Maynard Arms. Named after a medieval Lord of the Manor. Built 1851
115 Bar Apogee Pub, since closed, PreviouslyO’s Bar and The Bird inHand.
120 VilliersTerrace pub. This used to be the Princess Alexandra. pub
Park Road Leisure Centre. Open-air pool opened 1929 plus indoor pools opened1974 by Leonard Vincent, Raymond Garbing & Partners.
Kelland Close 1937 – domestic style round a garden. Hornsey councilhousing: three ranges
Ramsey Court. This block offlats was a replacement for Bomb damage built in 1952 by B. Bancroft
Hornsey Central Hospital. The Cottage Hospital was built by HornseyBorough Council by George Lethbridge on land donated by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.The foundation stone was laid in 1907and the Hospital opened in 1910. It was extendedas a War Memorial for those killed in the Great War and was extended again later.In the 1979 it was a general and acute hospital until 1981, when it became ageriatric hospital. It closed in 2001 and was demolished in 2007. It is replacedby a primary care health centre.
War Memorial – this has been incorporatedinto the health centre. It is a chapel datingfrom 1921 in Red brick. There are wooden doors with inscription ‘THEBOROUGH OF HORNSEY WAR MEMORIAL’ below the borough arms. Inside are 44 panels, carvedwith names of the dead.
Nurses Home, site developed for housing
Cholmondley Brook goes along its north side.This was part of a series of lakes in the grounds of Crouch Hall
Post Office pillarbox inscribed VR on junction with Park Road
Cholmondley Brook crosses the road near itsjunction with Claremont Road which is its lowest point.
Channing School Playing Fields. CholmondleyBrook passes along the east side and is joined by another tributary,
Post Office pillarbox inscribed VR on junction with Shepherd’s Hill
site of Crouch End School. Crouch End Board School moved here in 1877. Itwas renovated and reopened in 1935. Senior boys moved in the 1940s and the juniorschool closed in 1975.
Cast iron street nameplaque at first floor level on No.1
Line of a pre-railway path from Crouch EndHill to Hornsey Rise. Probably by the local builder W.J. Collins on the site ofOakfield House. Their style derives from the ‘artistic’ houses of Norman Shaw.
Coleridge East. On the old ArtSchool site, now used by the primary school is a 19th House, builtas a home for the School Principal in the 1890’s.
The stream from Queens Wood crosses overWood Vale
Christ Church web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Coolhurst Tennis Club web site
Greater London Council. Home Sweet Home
Highgate Wood School web site
History of Middlesex. Middlesex CC
Hornsey British History web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
Pevsner and Cherry, London North
Pinching and Dell. Harringey’s Hidden Streams
Walford. Highgate to the Lea,
Walk around Muswell Hill